We have all heard the saying that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. There is just something about waking up to a new day, a new start, and waking up to breakfast. It helps wake your brain, fuel your body, and get things started on the right note.
That said, breakfast is also the most versatile meal of the day. There is so much one can do for breakfast. From muesli, porridge, yogurt, fruit, muffins, eggs, pancakes, and even leftover food from the night before… The options are endless, and can be overwhelming… If you’re struggling with choosing what to have for breakfast this morning, here’s the perfect recipe for you to enjoy!
• 6 large eggs
• 1 ½ cups milk
• Juice of 1 medium orange (about 1/4 cup)
• Seeds of one vanilla pod
• 1 tbsp sugar
• Zest of 1 lemon (about 1 tbsp)
• ½ tsp ground cinnamon
• Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
• Pinch of salt
• 6 slices of bread such as brioche, sliced 1-inch thick, preferably a day old
• 4 tbsp unsalted butter
• 4 tbsp vegetable oil (I use coconut oil)
• Pure maple syrup (optional)
1. Whisk together eggs, milk, juice, vanilla, sugar, zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a bowl; set aside.
2. Place bread in a shallow baking dish large enough to hold bread slices in a single layer. Pour egg mixture over the bread; soak for 10 minutes. Turn slices over; soak 10 minutes more or until soaked through.
3. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet and set it aside.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Fry half the bread slices until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
5. Transfer to a wire rack; place along with the baking sheet in the oven while cooking the remaining bread.
6. Wipe the skillet and repeat with remaining butter, oil, and bread. Keep in the oven until ready to serve.
7. Serve warm with maple syrup, if desired.
Originally posted on sistersmagazine.com