In honour of the World Cup taking place in Qatar, we watched to share a Qatari dish! Saloona is a classic Arabian stew made with meat and/or vegetables. You can eat it with or without rice. In this recipe, we share how to make chicken saloona.
Cook time: 1hr 15mins
- 1 kg chicken (cut into pieces)
- Zucchini, cauliflower, carrots and potatoes chopped into small pieces
- Basmati rice, if desired
- 4 diced onions
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, crushed and ground
- Dried coriander, chopped
- 3 chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup tomato puree
- 3 chicken stock cubes
- 1 teaspoon black pepper or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 6 cups water
- Fill a cooking pot around halfway with water (approximately 6 cups) and boil.
- Add chicken, salt, black pepper, and turmeric. Leave for half an hour.
- In another pan, add three tablespoons of ghee. Once melted, add two diced onions, crushed garlic, chopped tomatoes, chopped vegetables, and tomato puree. Mix together and then cook for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, add the mixture to the cooking pot with the chicken. Add two chicken stock cubes and cook on low for 10 minutes.
- Add coriander and cook for another 10 minutes.
- The chicken saloona is done!
For the rice:
- Add the desired amount of rice to a cooking pot and fill the pot with water, so it almost covers the rice. Soak for an hour.
- In another pan, add two to three tablespoons of ghee. Once melted, add two remaining diced onions with salt. Stir until the onions are golden.
- Add the onions to the rice along with remembering chicken stock cube and stir the rice. Cook the rice on low for another 10 minutes.